Get the latest single parent news & help questions...
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter!

Get all the latest Aussie single parent freebies, news and articles - subscribe to our mailing list!

* indicates required

Follow Us!
Get Breaking Single Parent News and the latest Single Mum Forum posts in your news feed everyday!

go to the Single Mum Australia Facebook Page go to Twitter

EMERGENCY EXIT! - Go to Google

Single Mother Accommodation Support Directory

Northern Territory Accommodation Support

Go backReturn to full single mother support links menu

Read our Link Disclaimer

Northern Territory Government - Department of Housing
Housing Service's key objective is to deliver safe, secure and affordable housing to all Territorians. The need for shelter is fundamental to the health and wellbeing of individuals, families and the broader community. Housing underpins economic growth and sustainable development. It is an important channel for population growth and stability. Housing plays a vital role in building and maintaining strong communities across the Northern Territory, including those in regional and remote areas. Services include:

Northern Territory Government, Department of Health and Families - Supported Accommodation Assistance Program (SAAP) Service Providers:
The Supported Accommodation Assistance Program (SAAP) aims to provide transitional supported accommodation and related support services to help people who are homeless to achieve the maximum possible degree of self-reliance and independence

Northern Territory - Oakley House
Medium to long-term supported accommodation to young women aged 15-24 years who are pregnant or have a child under the age of 12 months
Telephone: 8945 3774

Northern Territory - Darwin Aboriginal and Islander Women's Shelter (DAIWS)
The service predominantly provides crisis/short-term supported accommodation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women and women with children who are homeless or escaping domestic/family violence. The service also provides information and referral services
Telephone: 8945 2284

Northern Territory - Dawn House Women's Refuge (A Children and Women's Service)
Dawn House provides supported accommodation, advocacy, referral, counselling and outreach support to women and women with children escaping domestic violence. Other services include education/promotion of a violence free society
Telephone: 8945 1388

Northern Territory - Palmerston Community Accommodation (Somerville)
Medium/long term supported accommodation for women, women with children, and families in crisis. The service also provides outreach support, counselling, transport, budgeting assistance, emergency relief, information and referral
Telephone: 8932 6111

Northern Territory Police Crisis accommodation and support listings
Domestic and Personal Violence Protection Unit counselling services - Crisis accommodation and support listings

Northern Territory - The Salvation Army Tenancy Support Service
The Salvation Army Tenancy Support Service provides an intervention service where tenancy is at risk.The service provides clients with the skills to maintain tenancy in public /private housing
Telephone: 8981 8188

Northern Territory (Alice Springs) - Tangentyere Council Aboriginal Services - Families Safe Houses
This provides a safe environment in Alice Springs for families escaping family violence. It caters for a minimum of 6 families per year who have been made homeless through family violence. The aim is to work with the families to assist them in staying together in safe, stable and independent accommodation

Go backReturn to full single mother support links menu

Many documents on our site are PDFs. To read these you will need to download the latest Adobe PDF Reader

External Links Disclaimer provides links to external websites solely as an information service to our website visitors. These links do not, in any way, constitute an endorsement of the linked pages or anything contained therein, and none should be inferred.

Please let us know if you believe that we are missing any important single mother links, or if any of the links are broken or outdated.

What does it mean to be a single mum?Of course, the


are the most important thing in a single mum's life. Kids are the focus and always have been. But along with the children, there are other matters that can confuse a single mum's life.


plays a big part of a single mother's life, mainly because this is where a large percentage of single mums get their finances from. Centrelink are the source from where the

single mother pension

, or as it is otherwise known, the single parent payment comes from. The single mother pension is a subsistence amount, but just the same, it is money to live on, and so it is important, no matter if it is called single parent payment, single mother pension or whatever Centrelink welfare classes it at the time

Often, single mums come out of a


or defacto relationship only to find that their troubles have just begun, and find that their first step leads them towards Family Law - it's time to engage a lawyer.
There are more than just Centrelink finance problems to worry about, as mentioned before, but also

child custody

issues. Child custody is something that hits right at the heart of

single mums

. If a single mother's ex husband or ex partner has been a domestic violence perpetrator, the mum may be greatly worried about child custody. They worry that their kids won't be safe with their spouse, who has already proven to be abusive because they caused

domestic violence

, which resulted in a divorce or separation.

Even so,

Family Court

will often still order a form of child custody named

Shared Parenting

. Shared Parenting is a form of child custody division of time or parental responsibility between the parents. Mother's often look for a good divorce lawyer to try to avoid share parenting with an abusive ex-spouse after divorce, however in many cases Shared Parenting is still the outcome after the divorce, no matter how good the divorce lawyers have been. They will often settle for visitation at a contact centre or access centre where fathers or mothers are supervised during child custody access.

Please remember the bigger font words,because we will use it often in our website.