Get the latest single parent news & help questions...
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter!

Get all the latest Aussie single parent freebies, news and articles - subscribe to our mailing list!

* indicates required

Follow Us!
Get Breaking Single Parent News and the latest Single Mum Forum posts in your news feed everyday!

go to the Single Mum Australia Facebook Page go to Twitter

Australian Single Mother Help Directory

Financial Support Links

Go backReturn to full single mother support links menu
Read our Link Disclaimer

View information regarding the Centrelink Single Mother Pension and other standard Centrelink pensions and payments here

Centrelink Crisis Payments

View a listing of Australian Charities for
possible emergency financial help here

Go to Centrelink
Centrelink - Emergency Assistance - Social Work Services
Centrelink Social Workers help with claims for payments from Centrelink, and can help people in financial crisis who may lose accommodation or essential services. They can provide help with counselling, information and a variety of other services available in the community

Go to Centrelink
Centrelink - Crisis Payment
Crisis Payment helps you if you are in severe financial hardship because you have experienced an extreme circumstance such as domestic violence. For full details of how Centrelink can help domestic violence victims, please view this webpage

Go to Centrelink
Centrelink - Parenting Payment Advance Payment
A lump sum Advance Payment of between $250 and $500 of your Social Security payment may be available if you need some money to help pay your expenses.
Note: You have to pay your Advance Payment back to Centrelink. It is not an extra payment.

Go to Centrelink
Centrelink - Special Benefit
Special Benefit helps you if you are in severe financial need due to circumstances outside your control and you cannot receive any other Centrelink pension or benefit
You may get Special Benefit if you:
are in severe financial hardship, and
are not able to earn enough income to support yourself and your dependants for reasons outside your control, and
cannot get any other payment from Centrelink, and
meet residence requirements.

Go to Family Circuit Court Website
Spouse Maintenance (Spousal Maintenance)
If you need financial help, you can apply for spouse maintanance or de facto maintenance. Under the Family Law Act, a person has a responsibility to financially assist their spouse or former de facto partner, if that person cannot meet their own reasonable expenses from their personal income or assets. Keep in mind, you need to apply within one year of your divorce being finalised, or 2 years for Defacto relationships. You can find more information about spouse maintenance at the Family Circuit Court website

View information regarding the
Centrelink Single Mother Pension and other standard Centrelink pensions and payments here

Contact Centrelink

This listing may not be comprehensive - it includes many of the Centrelink crisis and emergency payments available to separating, divorcing or single mums in need. Centrelink payments are added and changed often, so check with the Human Services-Centrelink website for any updates.

You can telephone Centrelink on 13 6150 for the latest information regarding immediate crisis payments available to you. (Expect a wait on hold of approximately half an hour, possibly extending to over an hour)

Alternatively, you can find your nearest Centrelink Office here

Go backReturn to full single mother support links menu

External Links Disclaimer provides links to external websites solely as an information service to our website visitors. These links do not, in any way, constitute an endorsement of the linked pages or anything contained therein, and none should be inferred. You can read our full Disclaimer here

Please let us know if you believe that we are missing any important single mother links, or if any of the links are broken or outdated.

What does it mean to be a single mum?Of course, the


are the most important thing in a single mum's life. Kids are the focus and always have been. But along with the children, there are other matters that can confuse a single mum's life.


plays a big part of a single mother's life, mainly because this is where a large percentage of single mums get their finances from. Centrelink are the source from where the

single mother pension

, or as it is otherwise known, the single parent payment comes from. The single mother pension is a subsistence amount, but just the same, it is money to live on, and so it is important, no matter if it is called single parent payment, single mother pension or whatever Centrelink welfare classes it at the time

Often, single mums come out of a


or defacto relationship only to find that their troubles have just begun, and find that their first step leads them towards Family Law - it's time to engage a lawyer.
There are more than just Centrelink finance problems to worry about, as mentioned before, but also

child custody

issues. Child custody is something that hits right at the heart of

single mums

. If a single mother's ex husband or ex partner has been a domestic violence perpetrator, the mum may be greatly worried about child custody. They worry that their kids won't be safe with their spouse, who has already proven to be abusive because they caused

domestic violence

, which resulted in a divorce or separation.

Even so,

Family Court

will often still order a form of child custody named

Shared Parenting

. Shared Parenting is a form of child custody division of time or parental responsibility between the parents. Mother's often look for a good divorce lawyer to try to avoid share parenting with an abusive ex-spouse after divorce, however in many cases Shared Parenting is still the outcome after the divorce, no matter how good the divorce lawyers have been. They will often settle for visitation at a contact centre or access centre where fathers or mothers are supervised during child custody access.

Please remember the bigger font words,because we will use it often in our website.