Get the latest single parent news & help questions...
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter!

Get all the latest Aussie single parent freebies, news and articles - subscribe to our mailing list!

* indicates required

Follow Us!
Get Breaking Single Parent News and the latest Single Mum Forum posts in your news feed everyday!

go to the Single Mum Australia Facebook Page go to Twitter

Single Mother Financial Support Links

Go backReturn to full single mother support links menu

For Centrelink Tertiary Study Benefits & Allowances, click here

National Primary & Secondary (High) School Government Bonuses, Schemes & Allowances

Go to the Education Tax Refund website
National - Centrelink Schoolkids Bonus
The Education Tax Refund (ETR) to help with the cost of educating primary and secondary school children was changed to the Schoolkids Bonus, a one-off bonus in the 2011-12 tax year. If you get Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part A, you probably are eligible for the Schoolkids Bonus.
The Schoolkids Bonus will finish at the end of 2016 and is income-limited to those earning less than $100,000 per year.
Find out more information about the Schoolkids Bonus at Human Services website Schoolkids Bonus information page

Go to the Youth Allowance information page
National - Centrelink Youth Allowance
Youth Allowance can assist you if you are a young person who is studying, undertaking training or an Australian Apprenticeship, looking for work, or sick
Find out more information at the Centrelink website

Go to Centrelink
National - Centrelink Abstudy
If you are an Indigenous secondary or tertiary student or a full-time Australian Apprentice, ABSTUDY is an allowance that may help you stay at school or in further study.
Depending on your situation, you might also be eligible for extra payments to help with the costs of studying

You may be eligible for ABSTUDY if you are of Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent, identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person and you are accepted as such in the community you live or have lived in. You must be an Australian citizen and also be:

aged 14 years or more on 1 January and studying at primary school, or
doing secondary school studies, or
studying full-time or part-time at a TAFE, university or tertiary institution, or
undertaking a full-time Australian Apprenticeship, or
doing a distance education or correspondence course, or
studying for a Masters or Doctorate degree.

See also the Abstudy Brochure
Read more about Abstudy at the Centrelink website

Go to the Assistance for Isolated Children scheme information page
National - Centrelink Assistance for Isolated Children (AIC) scheme
For Australian students who are unable to attend an appropriate state school on a daily basis, mainly because of geographic isolation
Find out more information at the Centrelink website

Go backReturn to full single mother support links menu

External Links Disclaimer provides links to external websites solely as an information service to our website visitors. These links do not, in any way, constitute an endorsement of the linked pages or anything contained therein, and none should be inferred. You can read our complete Links Disclaimer here

Please let us know if you believe that we are missing any important single mother links, or if any of the links are broken or outdated.

What does it mean to be a single mum?Of course, the


are the most important thing in a single mum's life. Kids are the focus and always have been. But along with the children, there are other matters that can confuse a single mum's life.


plays a big part of a single mother's life, mainly because this is where a large percentage of single mums get their finances from. Centrelink are the source from where the

single mother pension

, or as it is otherwise known, the single parent payment comes from. The single mother pension is a subsistence amount, but just the same, it is money to live on, and so it is important, no matter if it is called single parent payment, single mother pension or whatever Centrelink welfare classes it at the time

Often, single mums come out of a


or defacto relationship only to find that their troubles have just begun, and find that their first step leads them towards Family Law - it's time to engage a lawyer.
There are more than just Centrelink finance problems to worry about, as mentioned before, but also

child custody

issues. Child custody is something that hits right at the heart of

single mums

. If a single mother's ex husband or ex partner has been a domestic violence perpetrator, the mum may be greatly worried about child custody. They worry that their kids won't be safe with their spouse, who has already proven to be abusive because they caused

domestic violence

, which resulted in a divorce or separation.

Even so,

Family Court

will often still order a form of child custody named

Shared Parenting

. Shared Parenting is a form of child custody division of time or parental responsibility between the parents. Mother's often look for a good divorce lawyer to try to avoid share parenting with an abusive ex-spouse after divorce, however in many cases Shared Parenting is still the outcome after the divorce, no matter how good the divorce lawyers have been. They will often settle for visitation at a contact centre or access centre where fathers or mothers are supervised during child custody access.

Please remember the bigger font words,because we will use it often in our website.