Australian Single Mother Help Directory

Australian Single Mother Help Directory

Australian Single Mother Help Directory

Financial Support Links

Go backReturn to full single mother support links menu
Read our Link Disclaimer

Centrelink Parent Benefits & Allowances

For Centrelink Crisis Payments, click here
For Centrelink Study Benefits & Allowances, click here

If you are in crisis and need money immediately, see the
Centrelink Crisis Payments page here

This is a comprehensive listing of many Centrelink parenting payments, including the Parent Payment Single (PPS) (otherwise know as the Single Mother Pension, Single Mother Pension or Single Parent Payment) and many other Centrelink payments and allowances available to Australian single mothers. Payments are added and changed often, so check with the Human Services-Centrelink website for any updates.

If your youngest child is under 8 years old, you may be eligible for

Parent Payment Single

(otherwise known as PPS, single mother pension, single parent pension)

Go to Centrelink
Centrelink – Parenting Payment Single (also known as Single Parent Benefit, Single Mothers Pension and Single Mother Payment)
Parenting Payment is to help with the costs of caring for children. It is paid to the person who is the main carer of a child. If you are granted Parenting Payment (single) you will have compulsory part-time participation requirements from the time your youngest child turns 6 years of age. When your youngest child turns 8, you will be moved off the Parenting Payment and probably eligible to apply for the Newstart Payment
Go to the Centrelink website

If your youngest child is 8 years old or over, you may be eligible for

Newstart Allowance

(otherwise known as the Newstart Payment, Newstart Benefit, the Dole)

Go to Centrelink
Centrelink – Newstart Allowance
Single mothers are moved off the single parent pension (PPS) and then become eligible for the Newstart allowance when your youngest child turns 8. You may be expected to apply for Newstart, rather than it be an automatic switch. Once on Newstart, to keep getting the Newstart Allowance, you need to participate in activities designed to increase your chances of finding work. This is called meeting ‘activity test’ requirements. You may be required to attend Centrelink offices regularly to prove and discuss your work activity test requirements. Work activity test requirements could mean applying for jobs, doing a course, or working part-time.
You may be able to receive a short-term exemption from the Activity Test in special circumstances such as domestic violence
Go to the Centrelink Website…

In addition to a Centrelink pension, payment or allowance, you should also receive one or both of the following

Family Tax Benefit Payments

Go to Centrelink
Centrelink – Family Tax Benefit Part A & B
Family Tax Benefit Part A helps you with the cost of raising children. Family Tax Benefit Part A helps families with the cost of raising children. It is generally paid for dependent children and dependent full time teen / young adult students under a certain age who are not receiving Youth Allowance or similar payments like ABSTUDY or Veterans’ Children Education Supplement
Note: If you have not applied for child support, or an exemption from seeking child support you may only get the base rate of Family Tax Benefit Part A. If you receive over a certain amount of Child Support, your Family Tax Benefit Part A may be reduced.
Family Tax Benefit Part B gives extra assistance to sole parent families and to families with one main income where one parent chooses to stay at home or balance some paid work with caring for their children. If you are a single parent, you can get the maximum amount of Family Tax Benefit Part B provided your income is $150,000 per year or less. Shared Care may affect your payment.
Go to the Centrelink Website…

Some information regarding Centrelink concession cards

Go to Centrelink
Centrelink – Pensioner Concession Card
You can get a Pensioner Concession Card if you receive any of these payments:
Single Mother Pension (Parenting Payment)
Carer Payment
Newstart Allowance
and more…

An Australian Government Pensioner Concession Card entitles you to reduced cost medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).

You may also be entitled to various concessions from the Australian Government-these could include:

bulk billing for doctor’s appointments (this is your doctor’s decision)
more refunds for medical expenses through the Medicare Safety Net
assistance with hearing services through the Office of Hearing Services
discounted mail redirection through Australia Post
Note: You may get some of these Australian Government concessions for a dependent child.

You may also be entitled to various concession from State and Territory Governments and local councils-these could include:

reductions on property and water rates
reductions on energy bills
a telephone allowance
reduced fares on public transport
reductions on motor vehicle registration (free car registration in NSW!)
free rail journeys (limited number)
Note: Centrelink Pensioner Card concessions are different in each State and Territory and vary between local councils.

Go to the Centrelink Website…

Go to Centrelink
Centrelink – Health Care Card
A Health Care Card entitles you to cheaper medicines and some other concessions, sometimes including education, and public-transport costs. You may be eligible for a Health Care Card if you are receiving any of these payments:
Carer Allowance
Family Tax Benefit Part A (maximum rate only)
Newstart Allowance
and more…
Go to the Centrelink Website…
There is also what is called a “Low Income Health Care Card”

You can view more
Centrelink single mother pensions, payments and allowances here

Contact Centrelink

This listing may not be comprehensive – it includes many of the Australian government-funded Centrelink pensions and payments available to separating, divorcing or single mums in financial need. Centrelink payments are added and changed often, so check with the Human Services-Centrelink website for any updates.

You can telephone Centrelink directly at the Family Assistance Office on 13 6150 for the Family Tax Benefit Part A and B, Child Care Benefit, Parenting Payment, Double Orphan Pension, Health Care Cards, Baby Bonus, Maternity Immunisation Allowance, and Jobs, Education and Training (JET) enquiries. (Expect a wait on hold of at least half an hour, possibly extending to over an hour}

Alternatively, you can find your nearest Centrelink Office here

arrowBack | Nextarrow

See also…
Centrelink Crisis Payments | Centrelink Study Benefits & Allowances,

Go backReturn to full single mother support links menu

External Links Disclaimer provides links to external websites solely as an information service to our website visitors. These links do not, in any way, constitute an endorsement of the linked pages or anything contained therein, and none should be inferred.

Please let us know if you believe that we are missing any important single mother links, or if any of the links are broken or outdated.

Have your say – comment here!