Get the latest single parent news & help questions...
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter!

Get all the latest Aussie single parent freebies, news and articles - subscribe to our mailing list!

* indicates required

Follow Us!
Get Breaking Single Parent News and the latest Single Mum Forum posts in your news feed everyday!

go to the Single Mum Australia Facebook Page go to Twitter

go to Jason Bryce's Profile

Expert Opinion

Jason Bryce - Business & Finance Specialist

Centrelink Third Party Relationship Verification

Answers to the two big questions every single mum is asking

By Jason Bryce | 12 February 2018

Centrelink Third Party Verification - stock photo source:

Centrelink's tough new

relationship verification form.

Centrelink has given essential information for parents facing Centrelink's tough new relationship verification form.

Single parents on Parenting Payment Single and Newstart Parenting rate have begun to receive the new "Third Party Relationship Verification" forms from Centrelink.

A Department of Human Services spokesperson told that the new procedure replaces the old referees section on Centrelink's previous application forms. Those forms asked for the names and contact numbers of two people who could confirm that you are single.

DHS have now confirmed to that the new requirements are not in addition to the existing referee requirements. So why do it?

"A stronger relationship verification process is being introduced for single parent recipients to ensure that people aren't getting higher income support payments by pretending to be single," said the DHS spokesperson.

It's stronger because the referee can be jailed if they make a false statement. Joni Gear from The National Welfare Rights Centre said knowingly making a false statement on this form is the legal equivalent of perjury – lying under oath to a court. That means a criminal conviction and up to 12 months in prison.

Centrelink Third Party Verification - stock photo source:

So to stay eligible for income support you will need to find someone to sign a legal document that has the same force as a statutory declaration to say that you are, in fact, single.

That person can't be related to you and can't be your nominee, if you have one. A nominee is someone who is authorised by you to deal with Centrelink on your behalf, if you need assistance.

Despite a lack of information about how the new procedure will affect mums, the government has begun sending the new forms to existing Centrelink recipients.

But single mums are confused and have raised plenty of questions about the new form on our discussion boards as well on our Facebook forums and comments sections. Two questions in particular seem to have confused a lot of people:

Centrelink Third Party Verification - stock photo source:

1) What happens if I can't find a referee to sign Centrelink's Third Party Relationship Verification form?


2) What legal obligations does the referee have? Is the referee obligated to tell Centrelink if my relationship status changes?

Now DHS staff have supplied with the answers.

1) What if I can't find a referee to sign Centrelink's Relationship Verification form?

Centrelink Third Party Verification - stock photo source:

The first big question is what happens if, for any reason, you can't find someone to sign a statutory declaration type of document for you? The form simply says call to discuss "options" and provides the standard Centrelink call centre contact numbers.

DHS reassure us that there are specialist staff to deal with parents who find themselves in this situation.

"The Department of Human Services has specialist staff, including social workers, who can assist parents in difficult situations who are unable to find a referee," said the departmental spokesperson.

2) Is my referee obligated to tell Centrelink if my relationship status changes?

Centrelink Third Party Verification - stock photo source:

If you are single now and receiving Parenting Payment Single or Newstart you have fourteen days to notify Centrelink if that changes and you begin a new relationship. And at what stage does a boyfriend (or girlfriend) become a relationship in Centrelink's eyes? See here for more information about that.

That rule hasn't changed. The person who receives the money must tell Centrelink when their circumstances change.

"Payment recipients must notify the Department of Human Services of any change in their circumstances," said the DHS spokesperson.

"Referees are not legally obligated to report any changes in the circumstances of recipients."

So your referee shouldn't feel they are obligated to notify Centrelink the minute you hook-up with someone new. The sole responsibility for notifying change of circumstances remains with the recipient only. But our friend from DHS wants to encourage everybody to dob in single parents on PPS and Newstart who actually have a partner.

Centrelink Third Party Verification - stock photo source:

"If a person suspects that someone is misusing or defrauding Government Services, they can make a report to the Australian Government Services Fraud Tip-off Line on 131 524."

This new, stronger process sends a toxic message about the character of single mums – that they can't be trusted – said Terese Edwards from the National Council for Single Mothers and their Children.

And the Australian Council of Social Services aren't happy about it either. They have loudly opposed this new policy since it was announced by the government in May 2017 budget. "It is intrusive, offensive and unacceptable," says ACOSS's Dr Cassandra Goldie.

Jason Bryce

Business & Finance Journalist

Have your say on this story - what do you think? Make a comment below!

Further Australian Single Parent reading

Read the article..

Newstart changes & cuts to single parent benefits backroom deal

Jason Bryce

Latest Update: Senate Centrelink payments back-room deal more...

Read the article..

Am I really single? At what point does having a relationship affect your Centrelink benefits?

Jason Bryce

Now the government expects single parents to provide 'third party verification' of relationship status. So are you really single according to the laws of the land? more...

Read the article..

Child support debt and evasion ripping off Australian children

Terese Edwards

generally high-income non-resident fathers were the big-ticket winners whilst low to middle income single mums took the hardest hit more...

A single parent's guide to cruising!

A single parent's guide to cruising!

Let's go Mum single parent blog

Everyone loves a holiday – but a single parent family holiday can often leave that single parent feeling just as stressed and exhausted as ever...that's where cruises come in! more...

Join our Facebook group..

Read more of our single parent Centrelink features here

Stay in the Aussie Single Parent Loop!

Don't miss another Australian single parent news item, freebie, research / media call-out or offer!

Why not join our 30,000+ fan Australian Single Parent Facebook page, Twitter page or Australian Single Parent Mailing List?

Join now by clicking on an icon below!

Go to the Australian single parent Facebook page Go to the Australian single parent Twitter page Subscribe to the Australian single parent Mailing List

go to Jason Bryce's Biography

Jason is a business and finance journalist with 20 years experience, and is also a member of the Expert Opinion Panel. He has a regular weekly column in the Sunday Mail (Brisbane) and writes regularly for the Business Daily section of the Herald Sun in Melbourne and many other newspapers and magazines.

Keep up to date with the latest Centrelink news and information at Jason's Facebook page here

Follow Jason on Twitter @JasonBryce Jason Bryce's Profile here

Read more exclusive Centrelink articles

Read more exclusive Child Support articles

Disclaimer: The views of authors on our website are not necessarily representative of those views of our website. Articles contain only general information, correct at the date of publication. For advice regarding your own personal circumstances, always seek individual advice from a qualified professional. This article may not be reprinted, reproduced, or retransmitted in whole or in part without the express written consent of Please read the complete Disclaimer here

What does it mean to be a single mum?Of course, the


are the most important thing in a single mum's life. Kids are the focus and always have been. But along with the children, there are other matters that can confuse a single mum's life.


plays a big part of a single mother's life, mainly because this is where a large percentage of single mums get their finances from. Centrelink are the source from where the

single mother pension

, or as it is otherwise known, the single parent payment comes from. The single mother pension is a subsistence amount, but just the same, it is money to live on, and so it is important, no matter if it is called single parent payment, single mother pension or whatever Centrelink welfare classes it at the time

Often, single mums come out of a


or defacto relationship only to find that their troubles have just begun, and find that their first step leads them towards Family Law - it's time to engage a lawyer.
There are more than just Centrelink finance problems to worry about, as mentioned before, but also

child custody

issues. Child custody is something that hits right at the heart of

single mums

. If a single mother's ex husband or ex partner has been a domestic violence perpetrator, the mum may be greatly worried about child custody. They worry that their kids won't be safe with their spouse, who has already proven to be abusive because they caused

domestic violence

, which resulted in a divorce or separation.

Even so,

Family Court

will often still order a form of child custody named

Shared Parenting

. Shared Parenting is a form of child custody division of time or parental responsibility between the parents. Mother's often look for a good divorce lawyer to try to avoid share parenting with an abusive ex-spouse after divorce, however in many cases Shared Parenting is still the outcome after the divorce, no matter how good the divorce lawyers have been. They will often settle for visitation at a contact centre or access centre where fathers or mothers are supervised during child custody access.

Please remember the bigger font words,because we will use it often in our website.